This is Sindhi style mutton curry cooked with daag (brown onion gravy). We call it radhala teevan. In this curry we sometimes also add tindas or lotus stem if they are in season. Otherwise commonly potato is preferred by most. This can be served with plain rice, pulao or fulkas. (rotis)
Mutton .... 250 gms.
Onions .... 2 medium sized (sliced)
Tomatoes... 1 (chopped)
Ginger paste ... 1 tsp
Garlic paste .... 1 tsp
Green chillies ... 1-2 (Chopped)
Coriander powder .. 1 tsp
Cumin powder ........ 1 tsp
Turmeric powder .... 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala ......... 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/2 tsp ( according to your taste )
Green cardamoms .... 2-3
Salt ...... to taste
Coriander leaves ... to garnish
1. Clean the mutton and set aside.
2. Heat oil and fry the onion for a few minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, green chillies and a little water and simmer it to cook. Grind it with a hand grinder or in a mixer.
4. Now add the mutton and saute it. Keep adding a little water in between and continue to saute ( Bhuno) until you get a nice brown colour.
5. Now add the salt and dry spice powders. Crush the cardamoms and put them along with the skin. Also add a little chopped coriander leaves.
6. Pour sufficient water for the gravy and simmer it until done. Or Pressure-cook it. (If you are using pressure cooker add less water)
7. In India the mutton is really tender and cooks easily. But abroad we need to pressure-cook it because the mutton is frozen.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.