Rice - 1 cup
Jaggery .. 1/2 cup or little more ( as per your taste)
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Coconut slivers - 1 tbsp (you can use fresh or dry coconut)
Cardamoms ..... 5-6
Saffron ....... a pinch
Cashew nuts ... few
Salt .... a pinch to balance the taste
Ghee ... about 2-3 tbsps or as needed
Chopped almonds /pistachios for garnishing.
1. Melt the jaggery in one cup of water and discard the impurities.
2. Heat a spoonful of ghee and add the cardamoms, coconut slivers, cashews, and fennel seeds.
3. When they change coclour, add the rice and saute for half a minute.
4. Add one and half cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat.
5. Add the saffron to the cooking rice.
6. When it is half done, strain the jaggery water which would be around 3/4 th cup after boiling.
7. Stir to mix and reduce the heat. Simmer on very low flame to cook.
8. When the water is all evaporated, place the pot on a tawa / griddle for dum.
9. Heat a little ghee and pour on top of the rice. Mix carefully with the back of a spoon to avoid the rice grains from breaking. (I use a chopstick to do this)
Garnish with chopped nuts.
This looks delicious we make this on special occasions when we offer prayers to mataji.ReplyDelete
We make it on auspecious days too :)Delete
sweet rice, haven't made that at home, but have tasted it at weddings. Lovely preparation.ReplyDelete