Rice --- 3/4 th cup
Split green moong dal ... 1/4 cup
Salt ... to taste
Ghee or oil ... 2 tbsps
Mustard seeds - 2 tsps (for tempering)
1. Soak the rice and dal together for 1 hour.
2. If you are using a pressure cooker then take 3 cups of water.
3. Add the soaked rice and dal. Bring to a boil and remove the scum.
4. Add salt as needed and close the lid. Cook for 4-5 whistles.
5. If you cook in a pot then add more water and simmer it to cook until done.
6. Mash the khichdi with a masher.
7. Heat oil or ghee and add the mustard seeds. When they crackle, add them to the cooked khichdi.
8. Mix it and serve hot.