This is a simple carrot stir fry with fresh green garlic which is available only in winters. Even the carrots in winter are so fresh and juicy. This slow cooked stir fry really tastes amazing with the flavours of fresh garlic greens. This is a winter special sabzi from the Sindhi Cuisine. We usually serve it with rotis or dhodo (bhakri).
Carrots -------- 2 large or 3 small
Green garlic .... 2 small bunches.
Tomato ............ 1
Green chillies .... 2
Oil ................... 3-4 tbsps
Turmeric powder .. 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder ....... 1 tsp
Coriander powder ... 1 tsp
Kasoori methi ........ 1 tbsp (you may also use fresh methi 1/4 cup)
Salt ................... to taste
Red chilli powder ... 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves .... handful
1. Scrape the carrots and cut into small pieces.
2. Cut the tomato and the green chillies into small pieces.
3. Separate the white part of the garlic and dice it. Chop the greens and keep them separately.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add the white part of the garlic. saute it a bit.
5. When it changes the colour add the green chillies followed by the spice powders, salt and kasoori methi.
6. Maintain low flame so that the spices are not burnt.
7. Tip in the tomato pieces. Cover and simmer until tomatoes are soft. You can add 3-4 tbsps of water.
8. Now add the carrots, garlic greens and coriander leaves. Save some garlic and coriander for garnishing.
9. Cover the pan and cook on low flame. After 2 minutes open the lid and give it a stir.
10. Check the salt and add if required.
11. Now cover and simmer again for 3 more minutes. If the carrot pieces are bigger then cook for 1 more minute or until done.
12. Finally add the remaining green garlic and coriander.
13. Serve it with rotis or bhakri.