This is another variation of Sindhi kadhi made with tomato puree and little besan along with the vegetables of your choice.
Ripe tomatoes ... 4-5
Besan/gram flour ... 2 tbsps.
Green chillies .... 2-3
Bhindi ........ 4-5
Beans ......... 4-5
Drumsticks ,,, 7-8 pieces
Ginger .... 1 inch piece
Curry leaves .... 1 sprig
Coriander leaves ... handful
Turmeric powder ... 1/4 tsp.
Red chilli powder ... 1/4 tsp.
Salt ............ to taste
Jaggery or sugar .... 1 tbsp.
Asafoetida........... 1/8 tsp.
Cumin seeds ....... 1 tbsp.
Methi / fenugreek seeds ... 1 tsp.
Oil ..... 6 tbsps.
1. Blanch the tomatoes, peel them and make a thin puree.
2. Wash the bhindi and remove the two ends and give a slit in the middle. Sprinkle a little salt and fry them until half done. Set aside.
3. Peel the potatoes and cut them into big pieces. ( cut the small one into two )
4. Scrape the carrot and cut into long or round pieces.
5. Cut the beans into 2 inch pieces.
6. In a pan, heat the oil and add the asafoetida, cumin seeds and methi seeds. Put the besan and saute it for a few minutes until you get the aroma, taking care not to make it brown.
7. Pour in the tomato puree and about 2 cups of water, stirring continuously to avoid the lumps. Now put all the vegetables except the fried bhindi. Bring to a boil and add salt, jaggery, turmeric & red chilli powder, green chillies, crushed ginger and curry leaves. Simmer it until the kadhi is thick and the vegetables are done. You can add more water if required. Add the bhindi and coriander leaves 5 minutes before you close the gas. Usually it takes 30 - 45 minutes to cook the kadhi.
Serve with plain rice.