This is how we make it:
Yellow Moong dal ... 1 cup
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Salt ................ to taste
Oil ...... 1 tbsp
For garnishing or tadka take a little of each as per your liking..
Red chilli powder
Amchoor powder or anardana powder
Garam masala powder
Oil .... 2-3 tbsps
1. Soak moong dal for at least one hour. Wash it well.
2. In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil and add dal. Saute for half a minute and add 2 cups water.
3. When dal comes to a boil remove the froth. Add turmeric and salt. Simmer to cook on low flame.
4. Keep stirring in between and add water if needed. The consistency has to be thick.
5. When it is done mash it. It takes about 20 -25 minutes to cook.. You may cook in the pressure cooker also. ( 2-3 whistles) But the texture is perfect when cooked in a pan.
6. Just before serving sprinkle all the masalas mentioned above and pour a little hot oil over the masalas.
(for kids you can serve plain or with just cumin powder and black pepper.
This is usually served with puris. But you can relish it with rotis also.(for lunch & dinner)
To make puris, knead the dough adding salt and a little oil. Roll out the puris and fry them.
Tip: Do not dip in the flour while rolling the puris. Instead rub a little oil to the rolling pin and roll them out. This keeps the oil from turning black and remains clean.
Such a simple and comforting dal.. Looks delicious :)ReplyDelete
Thanks Sona :)Delete
What a great idea to have something like this for breakfast!ReplyDelete
Thanks Heidi.. Traditional Sindhi breakfasts are quite lavish and heavy. These days we serve them as brunch.Delete