In Sindhi Cuisine we have many kinds of fish preparations. This is one of the most popular one which goes well with Sindhi pulao. It tastes good with phulkas and dhodho also.
Ingredients for Onion Masala: ( Daag )
Onions ........... 4 -5 medium sized (sliced)
Tomatoes ...... 1 (chopped)
Green chillies ... 1-2(chopped)
Ginger paste .... 1 tsp
Garlic paste ...... 1 tsp
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add the sliced onions and saute them until brown.
2. Add the chopped tomato, chillies, ginger and garlic pastes.
3. Pour 1/2 cup water and simmer it till the onion is cooked.
4. Let it cool and grind it with a hand grinder or in a mixer.
(This will be used for pulao and fish)
Fish .... Surmai (or any other variety) 200 gms
Onion Masala .. 1/2 to 1 cup ( depending on the quantity of gravy you need)
Cumin powder .. 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder .. 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder ... 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder .. 1/4 tsp (add more if you like it spicy)
Garam masala ........ 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves .. to garnish
1. Clean the fish and sprinkle salt to marinate for 1 hour.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add the onion paste and all the dry spice powders.
3. Add the salt carefully as the fish is already marinated with salt.
4. Tip in the fish slices and saute carefully, turning the fish once. Add enough water and simmer to cook.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
A simple and yet flavorful fish preparation. The gravy looks thick.ReplyDelete
The fish looks great in the thick sauce. I hadn't realised that fish could be cooked using the familiar Onion masala. I am not a fish eater but I suppose this masala could be used for any vegetables.ReplyDelete
Yes Mina.. in Sindhi Cuisine we cook almost all the veggies and meats in this masala.Delete
Being a big time seafood lover, this curry is making me drool... Lovely preparation !ReplyDelete
Thank you Priya.Delete