Wheat semolina - 1 cup ( yield is 3-4 cups after cooking )
Jaggery or sugar .. 1 cup
Green cardamoms . 5-6
Saffron ..... few strands
Ghee or oil .........3-4 tbsps
Salt ...... 1/8 tsp ( 2 pinches)
Almonds and pistachios ... few chopped
1. Melt the jaggery / sugar in 2 cups water. Remove the dirt and strain it.
2. In a pan heat ghee and tip in the slit cardamoms.
3. Add the semolina and saute with a spatula until golden brown.
4. Add one cup water and simmer it to cook. Add a pinch of salt.
5. When it is half done add the strained jaggery or sugar syrup and saffron. Cook on low flame stirring from time to time until the semolina is cooked.
6. Towards the end place the pan on a tawa for dum. If you wish you can add a little more ghee at this stage.
Garnish with chopped almonds and pistachios.
Note: If you like a softer consistency of sheera you can add more water.The above quantity makes a grainy consistency.Also note that the sheera becomes drier after a few hours as the wheat grains absorb the moisture. The quantity of sugar / jaggery can also be adjusted according to your preference.
Seero is so tempting,if this is the one made from broken wheat what we call lapsi, I love it. My all time favourite and easy to make for unexpected guests. Next time I will make it with jaggery instead of sugar.ReplyDelete
Thanks for liking and you will surely love the one made with jaggery.Delete
Gosh that looks good! It looks like the perfect comfort food too :)ReplyDelete
Thanks Jane.. :)Delete