Chana dal .... 1/2 cup
Urad dal ..... 1/4 cup
Spilt green moong dal .. handful
(altogether you can take 1 cup of mixed dals)
Tomato ... 1
Green chillies .... 1-2
Coriander leaves .. handful
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Salt ... to taste
Asafoetida ... a generous pinch
Cumin seeds ... 1 tsp
Garlic ..... 1 tsp
Red chilli powder .. a pinch (add after the oil is cooled)
Oil ... 2 tbsps
1. Wash the three dals and soak them for 2-3 hours.
2. In a pressure cooker pour about two and half to three cups of water. Add the soaked dals and bring to a boil. Remove the white scum/ foam with a spoon.
3. Add the green chillies, tomato, turmeric powder and salt. Close the lid and cook for 4-5 whistles.
4. Open after the steam is let out. Dal should not be mushy and over cooked. Chana dal grains should be visible. So just mix it lightly with the ladle / spoon.
5. Heat a little oil for tempering and add asafoetida and cumin seeds. When they crackle add the crushed garlic and reduce the flame. When it becomes brownish, switch off the gas. Add a pinch of red chilli powder and immediately stir the tempering into the cooked dal. Also add the coriander leaves.
6. Simmer for half a minute to blend the flavours.
This is usually served with rotis.
Note: You can also follow the slow cooking method and just cook in a pan instead of pressure cooker, which is always the best.
Sounds like my kind of meal. Yum!ReplyDelete
Thanks for liking it.Delete
We call it Trevti daal, perfect with steaming rice or roti.ReplyDelete
Ok.. nice to know that.Delete
one such healthy protein combination of dhals, definitely serves a complete meal with roti..ReplyDelete
Yes.. a healthy option.Delete
I love such type of comfort meal. Loved the addition of three varieties of dal which is healthy too. Simple yet flavourful !ReplyDelete
Thanks a lot Priya.Delete