Chana dal .... 1/2 cup
Urad dal ..... 1/4 cup
Spilt green moong dal .. handful
(altogether you can take 1 cup of mixed dals)
Tomato ... 1
Green chillies .... 1-2
Coriander leaves .. handful
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Salt ... to taste
Asafoetida ... a generous pinch
Cumin seeds ... 1 tsp
Garlic ..... 1 tsp
Red chilli powder .. a pinch (add after the oil is cooled)
Oil ... 2 tbsps
1. Wash the three dals and soak them for 2-3 hours.
2. In a pressure cooker pour about two and half to three cups of water. Add the soaked dals and bring to a boil. Remove the white scum/ foam with a spoon.
3. Add the green chillies, tomato, turmeric powder and salt. Close the lid and cook for 4-5 whistles.
4. Open after the steam is let out. Dal should not be mushy and over cooked. Chana dal grains should be visible. So just mix it lightly with the ladle / spoon.
5. Heat a little oil for tempering and add asafoetida and cumin seeds. When they crackle add the crushed garlic and reduce the flame. When it becomes brownish, switch off the gas. Add a pinch of red chilli powder and immediately stir the tempering into the cooked dal. Also add the coriander leaves.
6. Simmer for half a minute to blend the flavours.
This is usually served with rotis.
Note: You can also follow the slow cooking method and just cook in a pan instead of pressure cooker, which is always the best.