Kheerni is a traditional Sindhi kheer made on all the auspecious and festive days in most of the Sindhi homes. Today I given it a little twist by adding thick mango pulp for a change.
Milk ....... 1 litre
Sabudana/sago ... 1/2 cup (soak with enough water to cover for 2-3 hours)
Sugar ............... 3/4 or 1 cup (depending on how sweet you want it )
Kesar/saffron ..... 7-8 threads
Salt ........... half a pinch
Ghee ....... 1/4 tsp.
Pistachios & almonds (unsalted)... a few (chopped)
Mango pulp .. 1 cup
1.In a pan boil the milk.(If using full cream milk, add a cup of water)
2. Add in the soaked sabudana, cardamoms (slightly crushed) saffron, half a pinch of salt and 1/4 tsp. ghee.
3. Let it simmer and keep stirring from time to time until the sabudana are cooked and the milk is reduced to half.( It takes approx. 30 minutes)
4. Meanwhile take the mango pulp in a thick bottomed saucepan and cook it by continuously stirring with a spatula until it is reduced to half and is quite thick in consistency.
5. Now mix the sugar well and simmer again for a minute.
6. Switch off the gas and let it cool. Now stir in the mango pulp and mix well.
7. Garnish with chopped nuts and serve hot or chilled.
delicious.. Tempting me too much I am a big fan of MangoReplyDelete
Thanks Veena .. do try it out.. Mango is my favourite too.:)Delete
This looks so delicious. I like the idea of mango pulp in kheer. I have some cans of mango pulp so may use them and reduce the sugar as the pulp will have sugar.ReplyDelete
Sure Mina.. you can do that.Delete
I am drooling at this recipe ,I love sago kheer and combined with mango it must be so delicious.ReplyDelete
Yes Nayna.. it tastes Heavenly.Delete
Its not mango season for us as yet but I can still make this as I have a bit of mango pulp in the freezer. Anyway its been ages since we've had any sabudana kheer.ReplyDelete
Do make it and enjoy dear ..Delete