This is a traditional Sindhi lemon pickle with ginger and green chillies. No oil or spices are used in this preparation. It is just preserved with salt and lemon juice. In Sindhi we call it. In Sindhi we call it "pani wari khatairn" , meaning "water pickle" as there is no oil or any spice added to it. You may use few spoons of vinegar too. Select the lemons with thin skin which take less time to mature. Pickles are usually made in Summer when we have good sunlight and the pickle jars are kept out for maturing.
Lemons ... 8 -10
Green chillies .. few
Ginger .......... 100 gms
Lemon juice .... as needed to cover the pickle (I used juice of 6 lemons and few tbsps of vinegar)
Salt ..... as needed.
1. Wash the lemons well and wipe them dry with a kitchen towel.
2. Make slits in them and fill with salt.
3. Peel the ginger and cut into thin wedges. Cut the chillies into pieces or you can use them whole with a slit.
4. Take a sterilized jar and tip in the lemons, ginger and chillies.
5. Pour the lemon juice and vinegar (if adding any) to the level where they are well immersed in the liquid.
6. Place the jar in the sunlight until the pickle matures. It could take a few weeks. Give it a shake everyday before placing in the sunlight.
Note: The pickle stays good for a long time but you can refrigerate it to avoid the fungus forming in it.
I make this pickle too regularly. It's perfect to have with any Indian meal.ReplyDelete
Simple and nice isn't it :)Delete
Simple and easy pickle which goes perfect with roti shoba ji.. very drooling recipe and painless..ReplyDelete
Thanks for liking :)Delete
I clearly remember receiving a big jar of this pickle by our friend here, she said it's really good for digestion.ReplyDelete
Yes Jagruti.. our elders only made this as it is lighter than the spicy ones.Delete