Swanjhro (drumstick flowers) is one of the edible flowers used in the Sindhi Cuisine. Surprisingly I have not come across any recipes with this flowers in any other cuisine though the drumstick leaves are used extensively in South India.
Apart from making curries we also make raita with swanjhro.
Here is the recipe.
Swanjhro / drumstick flowers .... 100 gms (about 1and 1/2 cups)
Yogurt .......................... 1 cup
Yellow mustard seeds .. 1/2 tsp (crushed coarsely)
Pepper corns ............ few (crushed )
Salt .................... to taste.
White vinegar .... 1 tbsp
1. Pick out the stems from the flowers.
2. Boil water adding salt and little vinegar. Tip in the flowers.
3. Boil for about 5 minutes and drain the water.
4. Repeat the boiling process again with fresh water to remove the bitterness from the flowers.
5. Drain the flowers and set aside.
6. Allow them to cool.
7. In a bowl take the whisked yogurt and add the flowers, salt, crushed mustard seeds and black pepper. Mix well.
Learning more about these beautiful drumstick flowers from your recipes. I love the idea of making raita using the flowers. Very unusual recipe for me.ReplyDelete
This is only made in Sindhi homes Mina.Delete
Hey wow. This sounds so delicious. I need to try it. Hope there are some flowers I can find soonReplyDelete
Do try it when you get someDelete
Wow an amazing recipe using flowers. Would love to try out this cool raita.ReplyDelete
Thanks Mayuri.. Raitas are always cool and soothingDelete